Thursday, June 10, 2010

A rainy fits & foodie Thursday

It's been one of those mornings, stubborn, crying, screaming, disobedient, and rainy Thursday morning.  Maybe it's the rain, maybe it's a combination of the rain and the cold. Cold is comparitively speaking, of course, because it's really only cold compared to the beautiful 80 degree weather we've been having lately.  And don't get me wrong, I LOVE rainy days, just not in companionship with a temper tantrum throwing toddler.  I know double T's are part of the package when you become a Mom, it just seems that when my toddler throws the dreaded double T's she has a bit too much of me in her.  In that way we are probably a good fit because I have just enough extra stubborness to outlast hers.  Our big problem this morning, the double T decided to rear its ugly and very stubborn head while we were walking at the mall.  This is something that is difficult for me, discipline in public, because there are so many eyes watching.  Those eyes feel that everything you do is their business as well and if any act is witnessed that those eyes disapprove of, you can find yourself in a heap of trouble. (Because they're right you know, one swat on the bottom while your child is screaming about having to sit in the stroller again definitely means that you are a horrid parent and you abuse your child.  *Please note: Previous sentence to be said with all the sarcasm it is possible to muster.) No one has ever said anything to me nor have I ever been visited by child services, but I do know people it has happened to.  And please, don't get me wrong, I believe in child services, I believe there are definitely horrible home situations.  Anyway, after following the rabbit hole I will now come back to the original story.  No form of discipline is working at the mall, so I decide to go out to the car and sit in silence with Akina strapped in her carseat until she decides she wants to apologize.  No dice, we sit there for 15 minutes and Jasper decides it's time to let me know he's hungry.  I'm not really a fan of sitting in a car with a screaming infant, so I started the car and we drive home, where I promptly tell Akina that she is in time out until she decides to apologize (which has been the issue all along since she decided to throw a double T out in public).  So in her crib she still sits because she got a little bit too much of me in her.  I'm sure sometime within the next couple of hours she will do something that is totally adorable and I will forget the monster that rose up and reared its ugly head for a little while this morning (I am not calling my daughter a monster).  This morning just made me think that maybe the next time I see a situation that I think is being handled badly, I need to take a step back and remind myself that I have no idea who this person is and I have no idea what has led up to what I just observed.  I should reserve my judgement for myself and pull the log out of my own eye before worrying about their speck.

On a foodie note, I threw together a dinner the other night that actually made my husband say "Wow, this is really good!"  It knocked me off my feet because usually the best I get is a "It's not bad" after I ask how it is.  So an uninstigated comment like that, said with gusto, pretty much means this meal is "da bomb" (This is nothing against my husband, he is just very even keeled and just goes with the flow) Ha Ha!  I am so out of the loop when it comes to the "hip" sayings.  Anyway, I thought I would share what it was and hope that you give it a try.  Step outside your box a little and savor the flavor explosion.

1 spicy andouille sausage (amazing! it has become my favorite sausage)
1 green, 1 red, and 1 yellow pepper cut into strips (you can use any mixture of peppers you want)
1-3 vidalia or other sweet onion(s) cut into pieces (just depending on how much you like onions)
3 med. sweet potatoes or yams cut into small cubes
1 pkg. baby spinach
ranch dressing

Slice the andouille sausage into small pieces.
Roast sweet potato cubes in the oven at 400 degrees for about 40 min. taking out halfway through and stirring around.
While the potatoes are roasting saute the onions and peppers until they are starting to brown and then add the sausage slices.  Continue to saute until the sausage is hot and starting to brown a little.
Spread the spinach on a plate and drizzle with just a little ranch dressing.  Sprinkle potatoes over the spinach and then cover with the sausage, pepper and onion mix.  Let sit for just a couple of minutes and the heat will wilt the spinach a little.
Sit down, dig in, and let the food rock your world!!

I hope you enjoy and I hope you have a fabulous Thursday.  Hopefully a little angel will emerge this afternoon and we will have some fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment